Reference Letter Policy
Who qualifies for a letter of reference?
Those who score at least two points via the following scoring system are (generally) qualified for a
- +1 for each course taken from me
- +1 for doing their final year thesis project under my supervision
- +1 per year for graduate studies under my supervision
Exceptions to these rule may be granted in the case that you have done especially
well in one of the
Please do not ask me for a reference letter after only one class...
I meet the requirements, should I ask for a letter?
I AM HAPPY TO PROVIDE A REFERENCE LETTER IF...
- you are attentive in class, with your phone off and your ears open
- you attend lectures and are punctual, with very occasional exceptions
- you ask questions when you don’t understand things
- you come to me for extra help when you need it, or you seek help from the TA
- you inform me in advance before missing a class or being late, and you try to catch up
on what you miss
- you are an engaged, attentive student who tries hard, is polite and treats those around you with
PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR A REFERENCE LETTER IF...
- you often talk or use your phone in class
- you are often absent or late without good reason
- you do not participate regularly in class
- you fail to submit assignments or submit them late
- you write careless emails without a greeting or signature (eg. “i wasnt in class today did I
- you are not an engaged student who tries hard, is polite and treats the people around you with